Labour react to further Government spending cuts
- Published on Tuesday, 28 May 2013 12:21
- Posted by Scott Buckler
Chris Leslie MP, Labour's Shadow Financial Secretary to the Treasury, responding to George Osborne's comments on the forthcoming spending review, said
"This is a spending review David Cameron and George Osborne never wanted or expected to happen.
"They said their plan would balance the books by the next election, but their failure on growth and jobs means the deficit is now set to be over £90 billion in 2015. That's why the Chancellor is now asking for even more spending cuts, with most big departments yet to reach agreement.
"After the IMF's damning criticism last week George Osborne should be asking himself what's gone wrong and taking action to get the economy growing strongly between now and 2015. Sadly he seems set to spend the next two years sticking to policies that are badly failing on living standards, growth and even deficit reduction."