Support set up for riot claims

Published on Wednesday, 17 August 2011 08:30
Posted by Scott Buckler

Website and phone support has been put in place for householders and businesses seeking compensation for riot damage


People whose property or premises were damaged by rioters, or whose stock was stolen or damaged, could be eligible to claim under the Riot (Damages) Act - even if they do not have insurance.

Last week the Prime Minister announced the deadline for applications under the Act would be extended from 14 to 42 days to allow more people to claim.

And now website support has been put in place to help guide people through the process of claiming compensation, as well as a dedicated helpline for people without insurance cover.

Those without insurance can contact call handlers who will be able to help guide applicants through the claims procedure.

Home Secretary Theresa May said:

"The thugs rioting last week were attacking their own communities with their criminal behaviour.

"The rebuilding process has already begun and the compensation offered to businesses and homeowners will help it continue as communities are rebuilt."

The advice being offered to riot victims online is:

* if you have insurance, you should check your policy to see if it covers riot damage. If it does, you should contact your insurer directly;
* if you do not have insurance or it does not cover riot damage, you might be eligible to claim compensation from you local police authority; and
* claims under the Riot (Damages) Act are limited to damage to or loss of buildings or their contents. The Act does not cover vehicles, personal injury or loss of trade.

Source: Home Office

The views expressed in the contents below are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of GovToday.

Add comment