More patients than ever before are staying in single sex accommodation
- Published on Thursday, 19 January 2012 14:07
- Posted by Scott Buckler
Mixed sex accommodation in NHS hospital trusts has dropped by 94 per cent in one year, Health Secretary Andrew Lansley announced today.
The latest statistics show that unjustified stays in mixed sex accommodation have fallen by 11,035 in just one year since December 2010
Protecting the privacy and dignity of patients is a priority for the NHS, and a record 73 per cent of hospital trusts are now reporting zero cases, compared with 52 per cent of trusts this time last year when new monitoring systems were introduced.
Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said:
“Nobody should have to suffer the indignity of staying in mixed accommodation and this is why I pledged to tackle this issue so that if patients go in for treatment, they will be cared for with compassion, dignity and privacy. Thanks to our tough action, the figures released today confirm that we are delivering on that promise."
“Almost all acute hospitals are following the rules and we are working to ensure this is copied across the NHS. But one breach of the rules is one too many, and we will continue to work on eliminating the indignity of mixed sex accommodation.”
Michelle Mitchell, Charity Director at Age UK says:
“We are pleased to see figures finally showing real progress in bringing an end to mixed sex accommodation. We know that many older patients find sharing a ward with the opposite sex significantly compromises their privacy and the experience can be extremely distressing."
“However privacy is just one aspect of dignity. Through the Dignity in Care commission, Age UK is looking at ways to ensure that the essential care needs of older people and their dignity are respected.”