Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Dementia
  • Page:

TOPIC: Defeating Dementia Through Research

Defeating Dementia Through Research 2 months, 4 weeks ago #1

A key component of the Dementia Challenge, research is gaining an increasing profile, and with it a hope that more effective treatments for Alzheimer's and other dementias will one day become a reality. How might this best be achieved, and what progress is being made?
Last Edit: 2 months, 4 weeks ago by Rob Daniels.

Re: Defeating Dementia Through Research 2 months, 2 weeks ago #2

It may not ‘defeat’ dementia, but I would count as effective treatment a lot of the good work being done to help people live well with dementia and retain their independence and abilities for as long as possible. I work on Care Talk magazine, which regularly features all sorts of approaches that care providers and individual care workers have developed to support people with dementia and their families in a very positive way, often with remarkable results. I wonder whether anyone is monitoring these practical approaches and adding them to the research base; the more effective practices are noted, and shared, the better.

Re: Defeating Dementia Through Research 2 months, 1 week ago #3

If there is a database of different prctical approaches and their outcomes I'd be very interested in knowing about it.

Re: Defeating Dementia Through Research 2 months, 1 week ago #4

The Dementia Services Development Centre is worth a look. I'm not sure there is a database as such, but new features due to be launched soon on the centre's website - Innovation Wall and Dementiapedia - sound like they may be a good source of information on successful approaches in future. There is already plenty of helpful advice on different areas like designing a supportive living environment for people with dementia, as well as research.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds