SHH….Secret support available for carers?
1 month, 1 week ago #1
There are around 6 million carers in the UK, looking after family members or friends that wouldn’t be able to cope at home on their own because of illness, disability or mental health etc.
It’s estimated that these dedicated individuals save the government £119 billion a year in paid carers and other services.
Yet on a recent survey by Carer’s Trust shows:
• 81% of carers say they were not aware of the support available.
• Almost 60% said their physical health has been affected by their role
• 61% of carers have experienced depression
• More than a quarter had seen an impact on both their physical and mental health.
• 35% believe they were given the wrong advice about the support on offer
There may well be support available but if its existence is not communicated effectively and the results monitored we may well lose this cost effective social crutch…
What are you doing to make sure we support the excellent carers of all ages that carry out such a worthwhile role?