Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Greening Government
  • Page:

TOPIC: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector?

Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 6 months ago #1

I am informed LED lighting can save Public Sector a substantial amount of money and reduce their carbon footprint dramatically!! If that is true then every Council and Government Department would have invested in it, wouldn’t they?

Does anyone have positive or negative experience on the use of LED lighting?

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 6 months ago #2

Whilst LED lighting units are obviously very effective, where possible work with existing Light fittings in your organization’s buildings it will keep costs down.

Benefits of LED Lighting are numerous eg:

• Lower electricity bills (save up to 90%!)

• Longer life: designed to last 50 000 hours (5.7 years even if on
constantly!), dramatically reducing your replacement/maintenance costs

• Environmental: less energy consumption & lighter Carbon footprint
(can you see where we got our name? J)

• Changing Legislation: much ‘traditional lighting’ will be phased
out in the next few years under changing European law

Example Medway Council placed a £21 000 order with us recently for LED tubes (LED replacement for conventional Fluorescent tubes) and we estimate they will save £3100.00 electricity & aproximatly £3000 maintenance a year from it. The pay back was worked out for 3 years LED lighting can slash your future energy costs. Feel free to call us if you need any free advice or support and we will also be more than happy to calculate the Payback period/ROI for you!

We believe LED is the future, what do you think?

J Roth, Lightfoot LED
-----

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 5 months ago #3

Hi Scott - I attended the Eco build at Manchester last week. I was speaking to representative of the Salford house project, she informed me that the quickest method to save money is by installing LED. So you do have a point!

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 5 months ago #4

I recently attended a very informative seminar at Philips Lighting Academy where the benefits of LED Lighting systems were apparent. My appreciation that LED is a lighting revolution and not just a replacement light bulb helped me understand their benefits as well as additional costs. The Scottish Government is considering the replacment of light fittings with LED systems as part of its Environmental Performance Improvement Programme.

Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 5 months ago #5

Hi Diane! Great to hear you have been made aware of the many financial & ecological benefits of LED Lighting.
If I can help out at all, please let me know. Many thanks- Dominic, Lightfoot LED. Tel (01273) 721668

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 5 months ago #6

Great to hear the Philips Lighting Academy was useful! I love attending the sessions as I always pick up something new! 

If anyone else would like to visit our state of the art interactive lighting showroom at our head office in Guildford please email me: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Philips Lighting Academy showcases the latest innovative LED technology, demonstrating energy saving retrofit lighting solutions, by our product and technical experts. 

The most popular modules are: 

*Principles of Lighting 
* LED Innovation - LED Technology, Retrofit LED solutions, Indoor luminaires, Outdoor luminaires, Future of LED
* Carbon Legislations & how lighting can contribute
* Lighting controls- Dimming capabilities and energy savings 

We also have modules on dispelling the myths of LED, unfortunately there are many untrustworthy manufacturers out there making unsubstantiated lifetime claims about their products - we can help you with the questions to ask when specifying LED products, which have been very well received by visitors to the Lighting Academy. 

I'd love to put together a tailor made day for organisations wanting to know more about solving their lighting challenges.

Drop me an email if you are interested. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 5 months ago #7

Hi Dominic - perhaps catch up with you once we are in a position to design and install LED systems.

Thanks
Diane

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 5 months ago #8

Katy - If you were offering customer information days, the Scottish Government would certainly be interested in attending.

Regards Diane

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 4 months ago #9

To answer the question, yes. We fitted 400 lighting controls which led to a 50% power reduction.

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 4 months ago #10

I’m no expert on LED lighting but I think what is outlined sounds right. I was impressed by the developments in LED technology last year at the conference. There were a range of LED bulbs that performed as well if not better than conventional lights in terms of the type of light given out.

I have neighbours that have their homes kitted out with LED spot lights in the ceiling I have not noticed any harmful impacts. They are also Mercury free which is a great bonus as we are trying to phase out mercury uses due to the international agreement on mercury currently being negotiated at an EU level.

From my understanding LED lighbulbs last longer, use less electricity and are less toxic. Which would make then an excellent tool for reducing our carbon footprint. Do you know what our use is across civil service estates? Has anyone done the cost benefit analysis of replacing all the lighting?

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 4 months ago #11

Dear All,

We are very glad that you have asked about LED technology, and how it can help hugely reduce energy and meet CRC.

Before I explain more about positive aspects of LED technology, please be advised that NOT ALL LED LUMINARIES are created equal.
There are so many companies that import products that do NOT meet BS EN norms, have false not tested CE marks, and products are not safe.

Before you decide to buy LED product you MUST find out more about supplier it self. Copmapnie that don't have ISO certification, nor WEEE (recycling program) in place, and their CE, FCC, or Rohs certificates don't Even exist.

Lets Begin with most popular product replacement:

Fluorescent TUBES - 
example - 5FT Fluorescent Tube - power consumption 58W plus ballast - total about 65W
You can replace it with Barracuda LED 5FT Tube that total power consumption is 22W

On top of your energy saving based on Lighting, you will also save on Air-conditioning, as Barracuda LED tubes do not emit as much heat as other products or Fluorescent tubes.

More Info Here:
www.armadilloled.com/Interior-LED-Lighti..._LED-T8-TUBES_31.htm

or best just to look at case studies:
www.armadilloled.com/Case-Studies/

Certificates.
www.armadilloled.com/ISO-9001:2008.htm/
www.armadilloled.com/ISO-14001:2004.htm/
www.armadilloled.com/WEE_BD2588SY.htm/

Please do let us know if you wish to receive FREE support and and survey carried at your location.

Regards,
Bart Gesner

Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by Scott Buckler.

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 4 months ago #12

At Medway as highlighted by Joakim in an earlier post we replaced 300 5ft fluorescent tubes at a cost of £21,450. This has delivered an annual fuel saving of 79125kW
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by Scott Buckler.

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 4 months ago #13

I have worked with Armadillo on a couple sample projects within our hospital. I put a 600 x 600 led light fitting in one of our theatre store cupboards in April 2009 to test the light output and the hours we can get out of it. As of today 5th Aug 11 it has been on 24hrs a day and still going strong with the same output. Armadillo has designed a lighting spec for the majority of the corridors within the hospital to upgrade the lighting. This will reduce our lighting bill by 70% and give a far better quality of light as there is no flickering from the lights. Armadillo will be fitting various sizes of tubes and new 600 x 600 fitting. As far as I,am concerned LED lighting is a must for a quick win in energy reduction. Please ensure you purchase the correct lighting and check the accreditation and the standards.

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 4 months ago #14

Hi Bill

Completely agree with the need to ask the suppliers some detailed questions when purchasing LEDs - as there are many outrageous claims about LED performance out there. 

I have attached a booklet "Guidelines for Specifying LED products" which has been written by the Lighting Industry Federation, Lighting Association and Institute of Lighting Professionals amongst others. 

It is a very easy to read, neutral and informative booklet, 

Hope this helps 

Re: Does technology really make a difference to reducing energy consumption for the Public Sector? 2 years, 4 months ago #15

I am commercial manager at Kingspan Water. We have developed a low cost retrofit rainwater harvesting solution. This provides ( depending on rainfall and water charge) paybacks between 2 and 6 years in non domestic premises, provided you can get a decent usable roof area for harvesting. We are exhibiting and presenting at the Greening Government conference, in order to help deliver a positive result for those tasked with meeting the water reduction targets within central government. Provided the technologies used are appropriate to building type and design, their use can reduce energy and water consumption very effectively.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds