Presentation to MP's about Small Wind
2 days, 15 hours ago #1
On 26th April 2012 Sykamore Small Wind presented to MP’s in the House of Commons about the merits of Small Wind. This is what we had to say:
Small Wind – Key Messages
1. Local Sustainability
Small wind: NOT the same as wind farms
• Generate power where it is needed
• Small wind turbines; individual, effective, affordable and accessible for farms, communities and businesses
• Potential for 600,000 UK installations:
o UK has 300,000 farms
o + business parks, schools, colleges, sports clubs, parkland, shopping centres
• Benign technology – kind to the environment, easy on the landscape
• Mitigate energy price inflation
• Energy security
• Minimum impact – scale and noise
2. Creating a Professional Industry
• New Manufacturing, Installation and Support for Small / Medium wind turbines
• Most effective of current renewable technologies:- helping farmers and local businesses become more sustainable
• UK has lagged in big wind – opportunity to remain small wind leaders
Skills and Job creation
• UK jobs in supply chain; manufacture, planning, installation, maintenance,
• Training/ skills – green jobs,
Sykamore Small Wind – bringing BIG wind skills and experience to small wind sector. Professionalising the small wind industry to ensure it is robust in meeting its growth challenges.
Hewlett Civil Engineering – investing in renewables, developing support services, standards and training for the wind energy industry, creating new jobs and skilled workers.
Endurance – world class manufacturer looking to invest in UK, setup assembly plant to serve Europe = jobs, money into economy.
FuturEnergy – leading UK small wind system design and manufacture
Detail messages about small wind turbines:
1. UK is the windiest country in Europe – 40% of Europe’s wind blows over the UK.
2. Size – small, very limited visual impact. Glyndebourne has installed a medium turbine in an AONB with overwhelming public approval.
3. Noise – not noisy, if sited correctly.
4. Wildlife – kind to the environment. RSPB has successfully installed a small wind turbine at Rainham Marsh, Essex.
5. Effectiveness – very effective, a 50kW turbine can power the equivalent of 40 homes on average.
6. At least 2-3 times more effective than solar PV, generates at night.
7. Helping farmers and small businesses viability.
8. Helping communities to regain control of their energy and lower their bills.
9. Safe & reliable – rigorous safety standards