Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Efficiency and Productivity
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do current approaches to performance measurement help or hinder the customer?

Do current approaches to performance measurement help or hinder the customer? 5 months, 1 week ago #1

Whilst measurements align to the local business unit managers are driven towards a silo mentality. What needs to change to drive collaboration in serving the customer? If targets do more harm than good, what is the alternative?

Re: Do current approaches to performance measurement help or hinder the customer? 5 months ago #2

I think you need to see what and how measurement is being carried out, I've seen some really strange measures and some that are excellent.
For Performance Measurement (PM) to add value, its imperative that this is not a simple drive to create data for some people who have little interest in the service. PM can be incredibly useful if it assists the customers and enables better working for the people doing the work. If context can be added to the data, then you can start to see that as information rather than data.
The most frequent causes of PM being seen as not useful, is that the same PM is created for the front line staff, their supervisors, their managers, their leaders and then the decision makers in Cabinet. Then the support services in ICT, HR and Accountancy are expected to want to see the same data? Hmmm bespoke information in the right way at the right time may work better? The attached image of the Ackoff hierarchy of Knowledge may help you to understand what I'm talking about.
Attachments:

Re: Do current approaches to performance measurement help or hinder the customer? 5 months ago #3

Hi All,

The answer that I give to most things (which I have learnt is more profound than it first appears!) is "it depends".

When I was doing my research into performance management, years ago - we discovered that a key issue is that performance indicators do not account for UNCERTAINTY - and tend to be one-dimensional.

For example, as an adopter, I am very concerned that measures to speed up placements for adoption may lead to (unintended consequence) lower quality of matches - and more adoption breakdowns.  Far better that a child (even my child!) waits a few more months for their forever parents than have their self-esteem completely smashed (and very hard to rebuild) as a result of a breakdown.

I'm with Dave in that so much of what really matters is immeasurable. However, we do need to measure some things (as I know that Dave would agree!) if we are to know whether our 'change' is really IMPROVEMENT or just tampering.

On the whole, we do not properly educate people in Performance Measurement, Management and Improvement - and this is a large part of the problem.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think comparing this year's dot to a dot in the same month last year means something. It doesn't. This dot will be bigger, smaller, or the same as last year's dot. Chances are, it doesn't mean a thing. How can we call ourselves intelligent and then compare TWO DOTS and call that a trend?

E x
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds