TOPIC: Future Forum report welcome, but should the Government go further?
Future Forum report welcome, but should the Government go further?
11 months, 4 weeks ago #1
National Voices has welcomed the NHS Future Forum report and urges the government to accept the recommendations and, in some cases, to go further.This report embodies many of the principles and actions that our members – over 100 health and social care charities - have been calling for on behalf of service users.
Points in the report that National Voices particularly welcomes include:
• A focus on the NHS constitution – a landmark statement of rights, signed by National Voices
• The importance of integration of care services
• The principle that “no decision about me without me” should be hard wired into every part of the system”
• Independent members of commissioning consortia would protect against conflicts of interest
• A strong HealthWatch England, with a Citizen’s Panel, would give patients and citizens a strong voice at national level
Areas where more work will be needed by government:
• Ensuring the independence and adequate funding of local HealthWatch
• Giving patients and patient organisations a stronger role as part of the range of experts in commissioning
• Further emphasis on safety, quality and dignity and on learning the lessons from Mid Staffordshire, Winterbourne View and those in the recent Ombudsman’s report on care of the elderly.
• Addressing some of the big challenges ahead such as the funding of social care.