Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
NHS Sustainable Development
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lighting and energy use in NHS buildings

Lighting and energy use in NHS buildings 3 months, 4 weeks ago #1

It's often the simplest things that can make immediate differences in my experience. Does anyone know of the status of LED lighting fixtures with NHS buildings? What about automated sensor light dimming/switching off? Or do these pose risks with regards to the operational processes of NHS buildings?

Re: Lighting and energy use in NHS buildings 1 week, 4 days ago #2

I have done 2 large installs of LED Lighting within The Princess Alexandra Hospital.

1st thing I did was find a company that could produce a quality LED light not the bright white light that a blue glow from it.
I worked for 18 months with Armadillo LED getting the right light and quality products.
We put a 600 x 600 4 x 12watt tubes in a store room in theatres it has been running now for nearly five years continuously.

1st project was to cover all lift lobbies and corridors as they run 24hrs a day.

2nd project was to install LED lighting in the new Special Care Baby Unit A&E and theatres and street lighting all around the hospital and car parks.

These projects were a very quick pay back things to consider
Good quality LED Lights
Maintenance of lights
Hrs Guaranteed on lights
No flickering tubes
Lux levels.

Re: Lighting and energy use in NHS buildings 3 days, 22 hours ago #3

At Royal United Hospital (Bath), we have also invested in LED lighting:

about 90% of our external street lights are LED
5 of our 16 Theatres have LED procedure lights fitted. All new procedure lights required will have LEDs.
Our new Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is fitted with 90% of LEDs
30% of our corridor areas now have LEDs fitted

We have also found that it is generally easier to replace an existing fluourescent light unit with a complete LED unit rather than retrofitting an existing T5 for example, with LEDs.

With LEDs we usally find that payback on initial investment (including both fitting costs and costs of the actual LED units) is usually between 4-6 years.

LED lighting can reduce energy usage by as much as 40% compared to fluorescent lighting and they also last significantly longer. We see them as a sound investment.

One other thing which is handy for LEDs is that the end disposal of the LED unit is realtively simple as it is classed as non-hazardous WEEE. This contrasts with disposal of fluourescent tubes which are hazardous (due to the mercury content) and therefore usually cost more to dispose of. They are also more difficult to handle and store prior to disposal due to their fragile construction.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds