Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Carbon Reduction Related Discussions amd Debate
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change

Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change 2 years, 2 months ago #1

The Rio+20 Earth Summit is a vital chance for world leaders to take action to avert a global environmental crisis. But the financial situation means minds will be focused elsewhere and there is a danger that business-as-usual may end up carrying the day. The Prime Minister should lead by example. He could make a big difference by demonstrating his commitment to Rio + 20 and letting other world leaders know that he will personally be attending. Lasting prosperity can only be built on a healthy planet.

www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm2010...vaud/1026/102602.htm

How can we as nation combat climate change without direct leadership?

Re: Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change 2 years, 1 month ago #2

As someone who is working with many Housing Associations and Councils trying to help them with fuel poverty and Free Power it comes as little surprise that a government that’s considering slashing the Feed in tariff is more interested with a knees up at a Royal place rather than trying to make a difference on reducing Carbon worldwide... Come on David stop telling the UK you are the Greenest Government unless you simply mean inexperienced ....sorry I hoped you meant you were committed to making a real difference on Carbon. So either walk the walk or stop talking the talk. Regarding RIO Turn up or shut up!!

Re: Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change 2 years, 1 month ago #3

I would agree with Joan Walley that we need strong UK leadership to promote environmentally sustainable practice. It is crucial for health here and abroad that we keep to our commitment to take action now and work towards reaching 80% emissions reductions by 2050.

Re: Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change 2 years, 1 month ago #4

"No, the Government are not showing the right leadership". It comes across as being under the influence of big companies with vested interests, partly because they do not understand the technology. In addition the spirit of localism has been totally undermined by Government themselves. An example of what I mean - local people in both Cornwall and Gloucestershire voted against incinerators as the best way of dealing with the final waste stream, and they were supported by their LA Planning turning the applications down. Yet the Minister, Mr Pickles, then reverses the local decision! So what do we conclude from this? "Localism" is just a cynical PR slogan and not a devolvement of decision making or empowerment at all. Secondly they do not understand the technology well enough to understand that there are better processes with smaller carbon footprints to deal with end waste, and that because of the nature of incineration it leads ultimately to importing waste from afar to feed the incinerator as re-cycling levels rise.. Another example is the limbo government policies have put community projects in and stalled their funding to reduce their energy requirements and provide local renewable energy.

I could go on, but unless we lead by example we cannot lecture the rest of the world. We need to put the money into R & D, and indeed some progress has been made here (the Hub for wave off Cornwall, and the tidal array's being developed in the Pentland Firth). but we still lag far behind many of out continental neighbours. These technologies must then be made available to the third world countries at preferential rates, helped by affordable loans. The export of our waste to these countries, much of it toxic, should be a serious offence by law.

Re: Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change 2 years, 1 month ago #5

This is the "Biggy" for the UK to be present at - If Mr C wants to deliver Big Society, well you don't get a much bigger society then the one touched by Global Climate Change issues. We were there in 1992 the UK must be fully represented in 2012. I have read in the press a few months ago statements such as we can't afford the Environmental Agenda (apologies I can't remember the exact reference) however, the sentiment stands. My question is surely we cannot afford not to afford the Environmental Agenda. It's like leaving the roof leaking because you can't afford to fix it - soon the walls and the foundations will go rotten too!

Re: Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change 2 years, 1 month ago #6

Rio in 1992 was a major turning point in environmental decision making. There is still a lot left to do, and it is a pity that the UK premier has signalled so early that he will not be going - Margeret Ounsley, head of public affairs, WWF-UK

Re: Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change 2 years, 1 month ago #7

You are right Margaret, it seems puzzling he would not attend such a significant meeting. Maybe the G20 has put him off!

Re: Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change 2 years, 1 month ago #8

I agree –the long term fate of our planet deserves a higher degree of commitment from our world leaders. The environment and the economy are interlinked and we ignore the sustainability agenda at our peril.

Re: Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change 2 years, 1 month ago #9

We asked both the energy minister and shadow minister to submit their views on the Feed-in Tariffs and the recent cuts, please visit our main site www.govtoday.co.uk to read, here is a snippet of what each had to say;

Greg Barker, Energy Minister:

"...this solar boom is unsustainable, funded through overgenerous subsidies which do not reflect the plummeting costs of technology and which if left unchanged would overwhelm the four year budget within months That’s we are proposing changes to the feed in tariff scheme (FITs) to help put the solar industry on a steadier, clearer and sustainable growth path avoiding boom and bust and ensuring a long term future for the industry. "

Tom Greatrex, Show Energy Minister:

"..On 23 November 2010, Greg Barker was extolling the virtues of Feed-in-Tariffs and his government’s commitment to the solar industry. In a speech to the Micro Power Council, the Energy and Climate Chance Minister claimed that “sustained long term growth is our aim and I shall be listening carefully to the industry.Fast forward to Monday 31 October 2011, and how hollow those words now appear. On that day, after much trailing in the press in the preceding days, Greg Barker announced a 52% cut to Feed-in-Tariffs move that would almost destroy the entire solar industry"

What are your views on Solar and the Feed-in Tariffs?

Re: Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change 2 years, 1 month ago #10

FITs in my view were and are the necessary boost to an industry in it's relative infancy. Obviously the public purse is very stretched at the moment but I'd love to understand better what the investment commitment v payback (including non monetarised pay back) for the public purse would be for FITs compared with Neuclear; or that of the investment made when Gas initially was first brought into peoples homes and many were kitted out for free (50's&60's). I don't believe Solar is THE answer but it is a very important PART of the energy answer. Furthermore, a lot of people recognised the FITs could not stay at the levels they were set at in the long term, but bringing cuts in now and the way in which it's been done just increases uncertainty and knock on effects on this relatively "fledgling" industry. We keep hearing we must have Economic Growth - surely growing the Green Economy is a win win and hammering these opportunities and returning old ways of making money - "develop, develop" seems short-termism at it's worst. We once lead the world in Steam, can't we attempt to do the same for the Green Economy?

Re: Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change 2 years, 1 month ago #11

Very interesting question you pose Tanya, what is the payback in comparison with such areas as Nuclear, we also thought a green economy was win win, however recent events have got us thinking, thanks for the post

Re: Are Government showing the right leadership qualities towards Climate Change 2 years ago #12

The answer is "not really, though we'd love the market to step in and do it for us". Particularly in view of the fact that the Govt is lobbying behind the scenes to stop the EU Directive which would place a tax burden on oil from tar sands.

Is it appropriate to expect every country to achieve an 80% reduction in Carbon Emissions? 2 years ago #13

We have all heard the buzz words around lean thinking and smarter working.... well, my question is "If when we look at our portfolio's, we generally take a logical approach to identify where the energy is being wasted and where sizeable (and therefore most cost effective) savings can be made..... Why can we not apply the same logic to the "Global Problem" that is Carbon Emissions and the resulting Climate Change?" (Not forgetting that there are many other emissions which have a more detrimental effect on the environment than Carbon...)
So, what is the cost to the UK economy likely to be, in order to achieve the targeted 80% reduction by 2050, and what will this mean in real terms for global emissions? By comparison, what might the cost be for China to achieve an 80% reduction and what impact would that have in global terms.....? Any thoughts?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds