Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Sustainable Communities
  • Page:

TOPIC: Environmental Managment Systems for FE

Environmental Managment Systems for FE 1 year, 7 months ago #1

Hello,
I'm looking for some advice about suitable environmental management systems to implement in a small sixth form. Having come from secondary, I have used Ecoschools before and would like to investigate an system that will allow us to make real improvements to our sustainability.
Any advice welcome!

Re: Environmental Managment Systems for FE 1 year, 5 months ago #2

Katherine

Not sure what you intend as a response to this post, so my answer may be off the wall!

I suggest you initially start by analysing the use of energy in the building - for example, by simply reading the meter on a regular basis. This will open up a conversation with the students about where and how energy is being used, then you can debate the environmental implications of this, both global and local. Globally, you can discuss the generation mix, fossil vs nuclear vs renewables, with the implications of each on the environment. Locally, you can debate energy efficiency, discussing how slight changes in behaviour can yield environmental benefit. This can then lead on to looking at other environmental impacts which individuals have, such as water usage, waste water disposal, transport, solid waste etc. Again, analyse the school's record and see if the students can develop their own action plan, with measurable targets to achieve reduction objectives.

Finally, depending on the appetite of the school to invest, you could ask the students to develop a business case for justifying the installation of renewables at the school to offset energy cost (eg installation of solar pv, solar heating, wind turbine etc)

Good luck!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds