Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Sustainable Communities
  • Page:

TOPIC: Insulating Your Homes-Insulating Your Futures?

Insulating Your Homes-Insulating Your Futures? 2 years, 2 months ago #1

Whilst employing renewable across social housing is a very noble ambition, shouldn’t we first ensure the basics are covered? At present 10 million homes across the UK have insufficient loft insulation. 6 million homes have inadequate cavity wall insulation and 7 million solid wall properties have no insulation. If we want to address fuel poverty, and save money, tackling insulation would be a cheaper option, and influence public health inequalities whilst still delivering carbon reduction. Win, win allround?

Re: Insulating Your Homes-Insulating Your Futures? 2 years, 2 months ago #2

The single biggest use of fossil fuels in the UK is to create heat for buildings. To help people who are more vulnerable in our society then it makes sense to have as many cheaper options as possible available to them. Thermostatic and time controls for heating should be fitted to all systems. As a minimum, temperature and time controls should be applied to both the heating and any stored water system and room temperatures should be controlled through thermostatic radiator valves. Some modern heating systems have weather compensation radiator controls which regulate space heating in-line with outside weather conditions for maximum efficiency. With escalating energy prices it is vital that households understand what they can do to keep costs in check.Roger Webb, HHIC director

Re: Insulating Your Homes-Insulating Your Futures? 2 years, 2 months ago #3

Why not have your cake and eat it…if there was a way to have free panels and keep a portion of the FIT wouldn’t you and shouldn’t you reinvest that money on insulation and temperature control equipment? I have seen the light! There is a way if you look at the thread “Heat or eat while the sun shines” I have outlined our solution there and would be happy to talk.

Re: Insulating Your Homes-Insulating Your Futures? 1 year, 3 months ago #4

I am a member of the Old Home Super Home network. Its a growing network of individual home owners getting control of their own energy needs through carrying out retrofit energy efficency and energy generation work on their homes.

I wrote an article for their website - www.superhomes.org.uk/wp-content/uploads..._Energy_article2.pdf
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds