Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Sustainable Communities
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sustainability for Innovative Community Projects

Sustainability for Innovative Community Projects 2 years, 3 months ago #1

Norton Canes Community Partnership, a registered charity in Cannock Chase are developing a project that will benefit local people, community buildings, schools and businesses in the area. Through consultation with local people, a Green Communities Action Plan was published funded by Energy Saving Trust. The group will lead on a innovative project that will change the way a village community wants to save energy, develop projects to recycle and think careful about throwing food away. Volunteers need support to develop these projects but with no funding and dedicated expert support this is difficult. Chris Huhne said:

“Prime Minister’s promise to slash the Government’s own carbon emissions by 10 per cent in our first year, but we need to go much further beyond that. Only by putting the low carbon agenda at the heart of everything that we do will we convince businesses and householders to do the same.” So please tell us how communities and volunteers get the help to support this Government agenda.

Re: Sustainability for Innovative Community Projects 2 years, 3 months ago #2

And Talking of Waste …………………..

Save our Sewers

There is another huge area where the only real way to make the necessary big change is for the government to impose restrictions - not on councils or individuals but on the manufacturers of toilet rolls. The problem relates to waste and waterways - our Victorian sewage system. It will remain working only as long as we treat it with care.

The marketing ploy is "Buy our thicker and softer toilet rolls and we'll plant more trees." The reality is - our sewers are not able to function properly because 'using thick, three-ply toilet paper is like putting a sleeping bag into the sewage system." This was the comment made by a sewage worker and if 'ordinary people' (like me) know this, then surely the government are already aware of the problem. It is huge! But nothing ever changes. We are slaves to the market and the people in charge - the government - are either blind (or deaf), stupid (mmmm) or ignorant (they are ignoring the problem as well as their responsibility).

The truth is that we don't really need to use toilet paper at all - water is wonderful - ask a million Muslims - but, being 'civilized, we don't like to get our hands wet or dirty and the system takes advantage of that. It is too much to even begin to educate people - they would reject this particular idea so - the government needs to step in and make sure that toilet rolls are thin, sensible and kind to the planet.

Re: Sustainability for Innovative Community Projects 2 years, 1 month ago #3

Could not agree more Kauser.

Coupled with paper towels, sanitary towels, nappies, cotton buds, mouldy liquid foodstuffs and all manner of other detritus that might undoubtedly be better placed in the bin for landfill. There is a serious educational message here - and it's not getting out there.

I've always been impressed with the milk bottle / hose pipe approach to this and the Japanese do this with some typical style - although if we moving down this route we will need to consider the increases in potable water use at a time when likely to be watered down (pardon the pun) code for sustainable homes measures are aiminmg to reduce water use....
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by Scott Buckler.

Re: Sustainability for Innovative Community Projects 2 years, 1 month ago #4

I am a director of Abingdon Hydro (part of Abingdon Carbon Cutters), we are currently planning a hydro scheme which consists of 3 Archimedes screw type generators that will be located next to the weir on the Thames in Abingdon.

The project is intended to be financed by the local community, through a possible share offer or other community finance scheme, with a percentage of the revenue, through the FIT, being taken out of the shareholders dividends and being invested in other energy generation or energy reduction schemes within the local community. The whole ethic behind the scheme is that it uses a local resource, the River Thames, captures energy via a community owned and run generator and puts as much as possible back into the local community for the benefit of all.

We are currently working on the planning application, the general support for the scheme is very strong so hopefully the application should be successful, if so we are hoping to install at the back end of next summer so by the end of 2012 we should be generating electricity!

If you want to find out more about this scheme please take a few minutes to have a look at our website at www.abingdonhydro.co.uk/

Re: Sustainability for Innovative Community Projects 2 years, 1 month ago #5

That looks great Paul, I have taken a look at the website and the work you and the team have done is breathtaking. I have a similar Hydro where I live in the High Peak and it has brought much success to the community.

Re: Sustainability for Innovative Community Projects 2 years, 1 month ago #6

Hi Paul your project looks great! At Local United we offer communities help and advice on the sort of project that you are undertaking, if you are interested you might like to read our action pack on community led hydro initiatives - www.localunited.net/?q=energy_packs
I realise you are well past the planning stage but some of the information on how other people have achieved what your are trying to might be informative.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds