Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Sustainable Communities
  • Page:

TOPIC: Behavioural change in developing sustainable communities

Behavioural change in developing sustainable communities 1 year, 3 months ago #1

Hi

Iain from Acacia Avenue here undefined (research firm contributing to the Sustainable Communities conference on Nov1st).

We're eager to hear from those of you who are trying to encourage different forms of behaviour change in your projects, and how that's going for you.

Best wishes

Re: Behavioural change in developing sustainable communities 1 year, 1 month ago #2

I'm also interested in this topic, and especially to talk with anybody who has experience of using "Carbon Conversations" approach in the workplace.

Re: Behavioural change in developing sustainable communities 1 year, 1 month ago #3

Increasing awareness of environmental issues alone isn’t enough. I am interested in this topic and look forward to having discussons about how to develop sustainable communities further.

Re: Behavioural change in developing sustainable communities 3 months, 1 week ago #4

Hi

This is of interest to me also. I'm looking at a Positive Social and Environmental Impact through behavioural change, via my Social Enterprise EEESafe.

We are a Standards organisation offering platforms to help the Reuse Sector, increase Waste Prevention, deliver on Government Reuse/Weee/Environment & Social targets.

We want to change the buying habits of Consumers when they purchase new White Goods Appliances. If they come by our Website first and purchase through our Retail Partners (Currently the Coop), then they will be first asked to donate their old appliance to us. We will then find a local company to collect the old item, repair it and make it available to someone in need in the community.

We will introduce them to EEESafe then, and hopefully get them to join us and work to a safe standard for repair because currently, anyone can repair these goods.

Keeping the old Community Assets local prevents waste disposal, transportation costs and local authority costs and thus lower CO2 emissions. Research has shown that Reuse is better than buying new on some kitchen appliances, but we must also balance the social value in offering a solution such as we do with our work.

One has to take in the total Lifecycle Analysis and count the embedded carbon when measuring against a new item. But because we offer an option, which helps sustain our operation through shared revenue, by getting EEESafe Centres up and running in the UK, we can deliver a more efficient model. It gets even more efficient when you can offer these centres the opportunity to get involved delivering our forthcoming New Training Qualification in a Registered Training Centre model. With access to our Learning Materials to deliver in a real working business environment, harnessing local potential waste for community benefit, it makes for a very sustainable model.

Currently engaged with WRAP, DEFRA and BIS we're highlighting the safety issues their current protocols present. The Trade Association for Independent Repairers DASA, are also encouraging their members to join. This is a Job Creation scheme as well with much potential. We just need policy to get it right and facilitate this innovative model.

The challenge is also to get Consumers to change their buying habits. It's a big one, but we're soon going to tackle it via consumer websites.

Re: Behavioural change in developing sustainable communities 1 month ago #5

Hi,

One of our public engagement programmes, Open House London (www.openhouselondon.org.uk), engages over a quarter of a million citizens of London in a weekend of building visits. Of a poll of 2,000 attendees over 70% said they act more environmentally friendly ways at home than in the workplace. It is a matter of incentive and responsibility.

Re developing sustainable communities and changing behaviour Peabody estates are doing some very interesting methods to get their occupants engaging in their sustainable targets.

Also in a professional sphere, through another of our programmes Green Sky Thinking (www.greenskythinking.org) behaviour change was consider in offices and communities such as PWC and BCO www.greenskythinking.org.uk/review/tuesday.html and Team London Bridge and other BID initiatives - www.greenskythinking.org.uk/review/wednesday.html

Quantifying Behavioural Change is the barrier - look at BCO's work with Grigouriou Interiors and also the Leesman Index -leesmanindex.com/
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds