Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Reducing HCAIs

TOPIC: Hand Hygiene Compliance

Re: Hand Hygiene Summit 6 months ago #31

My question relates to the role of patients’ hands in the spread of infection as recent CQC inspections have found staff in our trust to be poor at offering patients the opportunity to wash their hands prior to meals. In the intensive care unit patients are often unable to use their hands normally either to wash them or to eat their meals, and are reliant on staff to maintain all aspects of hygiene. This may occur infrequently, possibly only once or twice daily during the patient’s blanket bath.
Is there any research that sheds any light on this subject? What is the best way to perform hand hygiene for the critically ill patient, and how frequently should patient hand hygiene be carried out?

Re: Hand Hygiene Summit 6 months ago #32

There is certainly work on ITU which shows that the use of antibacterial wash on a daily basis (including hands), reduces the incidence of HCAI.

Re: Hand Hygiene Summit 3 months, 4 weeks ago #33

Great day enjoyed it all. Fab venue great food easy to get to. The lectures where all great and thought provoking on moving forward in our bid to conquer HCAIs. The final session by Andrea was very powerful, being a nurse for 20yrs now including respiratory medicine prior to being an ICN I can only admire her courage and purpose to sharing her story (i was not the only member of the audience who was overcome by emotion). I have plenty i wish to take back to my team and will definitely be sharing what I have learnt and experienced. Really hope to make the next conference.

Many Thanks
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds