Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Reducing HCAIs

TOPIC: Good news or Big Brother?

Re: Good news or Big Brother? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #31

With so much pressure, and possible financial penalties, on organisations to demonstrate excellent hand hygiene results is there a risk that some organisations may ‘massage’ their figures and thus those who provide accurate but not perfect scores will be penalized for their honesty?

Re: Good news or Big Brother? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #32

hello Rose, this is an impoerant area as there are the same expectations in terms of compliance in both acute and community organisations although they each face different challenges. We will try to include this as part of the debate next week.
Rose

Re: Good news or Big Brother? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #33

Attention to hand hygiene is everyone's business, Global Hand Washing Day aimed to highlight this to teach children everywhere, this touches our communities, this is our event in Blackpool, globalhandwashing.org/ghw-day/activities...-centre-blackpool-uk

Bringing patients into the equation can only help encourage professionals to do the right thing at the right time when giving care, whether in or outside of hospital.

I was pleased that MRSA Action UK was able to join #wenurses on twitter last week to take part in the discussion on #handhybiene recognising Global Hand Washing Day. Learned a lot about how care givers in the community cope with the hand washing scenario when faced with visiting vulnerable people at home. Social media has developed a community of people who are passionate about hand hygiene, industry, patients and professionals all promoting it. I think we should tap into whatever media we can to get the message out there.

Re: Good news or Big Brother? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #34

Is ATP monitoring vital in the drive to reduce HCAIs?

Re: Good news or Big Brother? 4 months, 1 week ago #35

Yes I believe ATP monitoring is vital in the drive to reduce HCAIs, particularly on high touch surfaces, we know everyone should wash hands at the right time whilst giving care, and ultimately this is the best protection against micro-organisms we touch in the environment, but its not just healthcare workers hands or gloves that contaminate surfaces, patients hands also present risks of cross-infection, there is a risk of patients infecting themselves - they may not be aware of the 5 moments of hand hygiene after all. Therefore if you reduce the bioburden and check that cleaning is being carried out effectively its almost certainly going to make difference. I would feel safer in an environment where every effort was being made to reduce / mitigate risks and would like to see ATP testing carried out as part of the cleaning regime.
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds