Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Reducing HCAIs
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can Nurses make good cleaners with training?

Can Nurses make good cleaners with training? 6 months ago #1

BBC NEWS ETC 4th Sept.

I was concerned to read on The BBC News Website www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19468770 that the results of a survey on 1000 NHS Nurses and Health Assistants carried out by the Nursing Times. Highlighted the following results:

50% believed cleaning services in their wards were inadequate.
20% Said hospital managers had cut back on cleaning.
37% Stated their Trusts would not close a bed even if it not been cleaned properly

All the above is concerning as this is feedback from frontline staff that appear to contradict the popular image being promoted of infection control in the NHS.

but worryingly the survey also stated:

75% of the 1000 staff stated they had not had not received any training to clean?

If true why are Trusts risking legal HSE implication of not following common sense guidelines?
www.coshh-essentials.org.uk/assets/live/SR04.pdf

Should we have cleaning professionals cleaning and Nursing Professionals Nursing?
Or
Should we train nurses to become professional cleaners as part of their role?

Re: Can Nurses make good cleaners with training? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #2

At our hospital, we have not cut back on cleaning staff, but do constantly review cleaning as a whole. We have a 24/7 cleaning response team, who deal with bed spaces etc out of hours, so nursing staff are not requested to clean routinely unless in emergency situation. There is no plan to train nurses to clean routinely.

Re: Can Nurses make good cleaners with training? 1 month, 1 week ago #3

We should have cleaning professionals available 24/7. This doesn't happen at the moment. As for nurses cleaning I don't think this is a good use of their time. However nurses or health care assistants are responsible for cleaning clinical equipment that is NOT single use/single patient use.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds